Menu

Wednesday, August 3, 2016

She Needed a Hero, So That's What She Became


You told me that I had to change, so I did.

I pounded away from the sea, once bright and sparkling blue with your affection and now a cold, grey hurricane, ready to dash me to bits on the rocky shore. I toiled through Arctic cold, brain turned to ice and fingers numb like novocaine. I slaved my way through the Sahara, the very skin boiling off my back as I collapsed in the endless ocean of dunes. I pulled myself up the highest mountain, lungs choking and brain withering from lack of oxygen. And everywhere I went, I left the little pieces of myself that you did not like behind. I buried my books in the snow drifts of the north and watched my music be swept away by a desert wind. I chipped and cut and carved out all the parts of me you found “undesirable”, until my once uniquely beautiful, symmetric soul was a misshapen, grotesque shell of its former self. The quiet beauty of the stained glass window of the soul is gone - now it is shattered, because you have thrown a torch through and broken the glass.

I came dragging myself back to you, only able to keep going by my sheer willpower. And yet your sea - your sea was focused on other people now, no longer me. Your whales and mermaids and colorful seashells were someone else’s to find and treasure now - and I was chased out, once again, by the hurricane.

I tried to think of what to do - but it was as if my brain had ceased to function other than for the thought of you, for in the past few agonizing years, you and winning back your laughter and smile had consumed all my thoughts.

And excruciatingly slowly, the thought came to me that I needed a new hero.

So I became my own.

xo evelyn
Share:

10 comments:

  1. Wow. This is really an incredible piece of work. I am absolutely amazed. Where did you get this talent, girl?

    Your blog is a beautiful place! I absolutely love your about page. Marvelous work! Keep it up and keep writing. <3

    Sophia xx
    A Lantern In Her Hand
    The Inkpot Girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAFAFHEA'IFNJNFI'EAYFHEWAFH'WEAHF'EFHEWFBHGRPAGUA E9Y3ry ufrej 697364987+
    I...just...wow...
    So, first I just came across your blog, and YOUR TAGS ARE HILARIOUS, AND YOUR ABOUT ME PAGE IS PERFECT, AND BEAUTIFUL, AND DUDE YOU LIKE HOZIER!?!?!
    And then I read this post, and it really spoke to me. It is SO stunning and touching. I love the symbolisms you have.
    Anyways, getting lost in grocery stores is literally the worst...I have done it...
    <3 xoxo

    http://everythingisbetterwithpolkadots.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOODNESS. YOU ARE THE SWEETEST. GAHH.

      xo evelyn

      Delete
  3. Beautiful writing - uncannily relevant to my current situation.

    Your tags are also brilliant :D
    Beautiful blog - following.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely blog and epic tags, followed. <3

    ReplyDelete

Friends

Follow

Follow

Copyright © Epilogue | Powered by Blogger

Design by Anders Norén | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com